One of my favourite slow-night-at-the-bar gamings is to an obstacle a girlfriend to draw a map the the joined States. The buddy usually begins with an synopsis of the country, often beginning at the Pacific Northwest and drawing eastward prior to continuing under the eastern Coast. We’re typically left with a squat, rectangle-shaped blob that attributes a squiggly dent because that the an excellent Lakes states, a leaning chimney because that Maine, an huge panhandle for Florida, part random bumps that represent the Rio Grande, and also very tiny room for the interior states. Here’s a version attempted by my wife, Jesse:
Maybe Cliff Roberts tested Bobby Jones to a comparable game ago in 1933, together they draft an emblem for your newly produced golf course, i beg your pardon they dubbed Augusta nationwide Golf Club.
The brand-new Republic has currently explored the logo’s bad representation the the national silhouette (the short article includes this useful gif). However the real trouble with the logo isn’t the it mirrors an inaccurate calculation of America — it’s that Augusta national can’t seem to pick one inaccurate version to rod with. There are lots of comparable but distinct logos floating around out there.
You are watching: What font is the masters logo
This all involved light as soon as Uni Watch reader Andrew Dailey recently discussed to Paul the the Masters shows up to have a lot of logo design inconsistencies. Paul, learning that I’m an Augusta native and that I also have a Masters-themed Uni watch membership card, request if I’d choose to investigate.
We’ll describe that throughout this piece as the main logo. You’d think they’d usage that variation for everything. Instead, there shows up to be a variety of logos that are provided on-air, online, top top merchandise, and on official files (click come enlarge):
Let’s take a look in ~ the logo’s difficulty areas and also see exactly how they’re calculation differently across the selection of master logos that space out there. One caveat before we begin: unless otherwise noted, I’m only using logos and also merchandise from the last two years that either came straight from a masters webcast or native merchandise that’s currently for sale in the pro Shop, for this reason every logo you’ll see has actually been offered by Augusta National.
1. Identifiable States. as soon as we think of the synopsis of the united States, the the appendages that room the most specifying features. Maine, Florida, Louisiana, and Texas each protrude the end of the landmass, offering us barfly cartographers with particular reference points. The masters logo designers were well aware of this, and different execution of the logo function various depictions of every of this states. In the official logo, Maine resembles the profile of a gorilla’s head, v a peaked, virtually forward-leaning dome and also a rounded, stubby nose. The logo on the leather-bound masters Annual, however, reflects us a variation of Maine that’s an ext akin to a terrier’s profile, through pointy, front-facing ears and also a full snout. And on the pin flag logo, Maine looks comparable to the main logo, yet with a thicker “forehead” and much shorter “nose.” You have the right to see all 3 versions here (click come enlarge):
Heading south, we uncover several different depictions the Florida. The leans contempt eastward in the main logo, protrudes directly southward on the date merchandise, points out into the Atlantic on the eco-friendly Jacket patch, and also even hooks westward right into the Gulf — America’s Comma! — top top the yellow pen flag. Right here are every one of those versions together (click come enlarge):
America’s southwestern border, indigenous the southern pointer of Texas come the west coast, come off as an afterthought in many Masters logos. In the main logo, the Rio Grande is rendered together a featureless squiggle, losing its dramatic north/south bends and instead coming to be a ploddingly prolonged westward slope. This mistreatment is regular throughout many of the logos ns found, except for the more cartographically-sound execution featured top top the green Jacket patch and in the “1934 Series” of merchandise.
2. The good Lakes. Masters logo design designers had the great Lakes in rundown of America. But, that course, this region is calculation differently across the different logos. The official logo design shows a single far-reaching dip, due phibìc of Louisiana. This makes no sense. The most southern suggest of this an ar occurs in ~ Lake Erie, which is due north of Georgia. Since the cup in the logo is plainly meant to be placed in Augusta, the Lake Erie dive should appear west the the pen flag. Even when this official logo is used on merchandise, however, the east dip the intersects the pen flag demonstrates various levels of indentation, as checked out in golf balls and also patron chairs.
For the logo design featured on the very first Masters invitation, the designer didn’t placed much initiative into this region. Existing merchandise borrows native this look, as watched on the date items, such as this master tumbler, a eco-friendly T-shirt, and also a eco-friendly hat. The Masters yearly cover rendering eliminates the lakes entirely, instead providing outlines the Minnesota and Michigan. A similar rendering appears on the green Jacket patch, while its retro cousin top top the 1934 series simply depicts the good Lakes an ar as a long, vast pothole.
3. The Block Shading. indigenous its first iteration ~ above the initial invitation, the country was shown as a three-dimensional overview with a block shadow. This look has actually been maintained, except on the green Jacket patch and also 1934 collection merchandise, which feature a two-dimensional rendering. The 3D versions have a downward-cast shadow, for this reason horizontal currently usually gain a white shadow, when vertically-oriented lines acquire green-shaded shadows. Occasionally these green-shaded areas are solid, and sometimes they feature multiple upright lines. The greatest discrepancy, however, comes on the eastern seaboard. In some logos, yes a block shadow through variegated shading; in others, the shading is heavy green; and in part there is tiny or no 3D shadow whatsoever.
4. Flag, Pin, and Hole Details. Each variation of the masters logo functions a cup the is plainly meant to be put in Augusta, v a pin shooting upward through the nation and a red flag waving westward. This seems basic enough, however I want to take it a look in ~ an inconsistency it is bugged me because that years. The style that ns immediately picture is the version I call the fatality Star cup. This can be viewed in several of the on-air graphics and it attributes a one in the top-right corner, v lines emanating outward, similar to the bottom that a real golf cup (or, maybe, the death Star). Sports of this architecture include the less memorable empty thin-rimmed north cup ~ above the main logo; the blank thick-rimmed north cup top top the Masters competition logo; the shaded-rim empty cup ~ above the pin flag logo; the FUBAR cup on the large Green Flag; the 2D cup on the environment-friendly Jacket patch; and the line-shaded north cup the bisects the pin on the date merchandise.
We can then start investigating the different ways in i m sorry the flag and also pin relate come one another and to the summary of the nation. Together we experienced in the section around the an excellent Lakes, periodically the pin intersects at the eastern Dip, occasionally at the western Dip, and also in the 1934 collection it leans eastward, throughout the Appalachian Mountains. As for the flag, that is bottom suggest can fly fine north of the north tip of Maine, or almost in line through the state.
The flag itself is rendered in a range of ways. In the main logo, that a red flag v one big dip ~ above the top, one ~ above the left side, and two increase crests ~ above the bottom. The number of these flaps and folds can adjust depending top top the logo, as have the right to the flag itself, i beg your pardon is more of a pennant on the green Jacket Patch. Climate there’s the huge Green Flag, which shows the red flag covering the pin instead of extending from it.
5. Type Placement. The masters wordmark has undergone some straightforward adjustments since its introduction, but its location in relationship to the artwork remains consistently inconsistent. Most often, the wordmark is above the nation, overlapping the pin and also nestling right into the west edge of new England. Top top the official Masters DVD Video, however, the wordmark hovers a bit higher above the country, as it go on the patrons’ beverage cups.
There space plenty that other instances of the random interpretations the this logo, and it’s been fun to view the variations. Native this 1960 Par 3 trophy, to this member’s bag tag, or even these hats that space only obtainable in the Member’s Clubhouse (and it seems ~ to ar Augusta what in Louisiana). Oddly, as soon as it comes to merchandise, because that the commodities are supposed to show up handmade and also quaint, the Masters logo is the one design element the stands out together a cleanly created corporate trademark. I don’t acquire it.
Of course, Augusta nationwide isn’t well-known for the transparency, for this reason I uncover it unlikely that we’ll ever have the ability to get to the bottom of this. What perform you think? go this include to the charm the the event? walk it imply that the appeal of the tournament and its merchandise flourished so conveniently that its historically conservative members couldn’t keep consistency amongst the many designs? maybe this is all component of that legacy Unlike any kind of Other. I’ll recognize that there’s something lo-fi and homey around the entirety thing that feels suitable to me. In spite of all the hubbub, possibly it’s simply that local tournament around the corner from whereby my finest friend’s father flourished up.
• • • • •
• • • • •
C-Flap reminder/update: In instance you missed the yesterday, I’ve done a deep dive top top the past, present, and possible future of the C-Flap, which is the faceguard accessory the is literally an altering the face of major League Baseball. It’s the most thorough therapy of this topic that I’m mindful of, and also I had actually a blast reporting and also writing it. I hope you’ll examine it out here. (The illo displayed at right, which you have the right to click to enlarge, is from the C-Flap’s 1987 patent. Keep in mind the an extremely nice stirrups!)
As is periodically the case with this type of story, Uni Watch reader have already filled in some extr details in the historical record. So much there have actually been three prominent developments:
1. I stated that the very first C-Flapped player I can remember seeing to be A’s catcher terrycloth Steinbach in June that 1988, and also A’s tools manager Steve Vucinich evidenced to me that Steinbach’s flap to be the an initial one he ever installed. But that turned the end to be untrue. Leader Mike Brown recalled that A’s infielder valley Hubbard had actually worn the flap a month or two prior to Steinbach (Hubbard had damaged his jaw during spring maintain of that year), and he found video to prove it. Here’s ha batting in a game on may 30, 1988 — four days before Steinbach reverted to activity from his very own facial injury:
Hubbard was probably wearing the flap earlier than that, because he changed to action from his feather training injury top top April 15, i beg your pardon is likely when the made his C-Flapped debut. One of two people way, though, he absolutely wore the flap earlier than Steinbach did.
So was hubbard the an initial C-Flapped MLBer? that leads united state to…
2. reader Kirk Weindorff claimed he recalled see Giants infielder chris Brown stay the C-Flap at some suggest in the 1980s. “I remember exactly how I’d never seen a helmet favor that before,” that said. “Of course, me and all of my baseball friends wanted one because it looked cool — never mind the security aspect.” ~ a quick photo search, Weindorff came up with this photo to support his recollection:
The photograph is undated, however Brown only played for the Giants native 1984 v 1987, for this reason the photo definitely predates the Hubbard and Steinbach flaps. According to this article, Brown experienced a damaged jaw in ’87, for this reason there’s our answer. Till someone come up v an previously example, Brown now has the title of MLB’s very first C-Flapper.
See more: Lug Nut Size On A 2000 Ford F150 Lug Nut Size ? 2000 Ford F
I said that Cardinals catcher Yadier Molina to be the very first player ns was mindful of come wear the C-Flap purely as a proactive preventive measure, rather of in solution to a facial injury. That was in June the 2016. Yet reader Jeff Cory said Cubs infielder Javy Baez to be a proactive C-Flapper as soon as he was called up native the minors in September that 2015.
I recall this because I to be anxiously awaiting Baez’s return to the majors after drafting him because that my APBA team that year ~ above the heels of his .551 OPS power in 2014. Once he come wearing a challenge guard, i was came to that it reflect poorly on his psychological toughness, since at the time no various other player had actually donned the C-Flap without having actually previously experienced a face injury. I recall him explaining to the Chicago media that he had actually recently had actually some expensive dental occupational done and also didn’t desire to mess it up. The time frame is confirmed by this Patrick Mooney tweet:
Javier Baez claimed he's put on a face guard with his batting helmet as security after gaining dental job-related done: "It's nothing."