What is the skeleton?
The human being skeleton is quite merely a arsenal of about 206 different shaped bones that align with each other to develop a protective frame for the body the muscles can connect to and provide movement from.
You are watching: Besides the brain, the skull also protects
An example of the skeleton in the anatomical position can be seen in the adjacent image.
What does the skeleton do?
The skeleton offers four significant functions, which are;
1. Support : It gives a structure to support the organs and also tissues of the body.
2. Protection: the protects our inner organs. The skull protects the brain; the thorax (sternum, ribs and spine) protects the heart, lungs and also other viscera (organs within the thorax).
3. Movement: It gives a frame for muscles to attach. Then once the muscles contract they traction on the skeletal of the skeleton, i m sorry act prefer levers to develop movement.
4. It is provided & Storage: The skeletal that consist of the skeleton space a resource of both red blood cell (which move oxygen) and also white blood cells (which fight infection), i m sorry are developed within the bone marrow.
Why is the skeleton important?
When considering the four major functions that the skeleton it is simple to view why that is therefore important. There is no it us would just be a pile of "jelly" lie on the floor, can not to move and with no blood or immunity. So maintaining a healthy functioning skeleton is component and thoreau of being able to execute all our daily activities and get involved in every physical activities effectively.
The skeletal system and also fitness
Understanding the skeletal system and also its functions is an extremely important because that you together a an individual trainer. This is due to the fact that it can help you finish everyday elements of your project such as assessing someone’s movement, identify dangerous movements and also correcting practice technique.
For instance when working as a an individual trainer it’s the posture (position the the bones) that the skeleton that suggests whether someone’s method is correct or if their activity patterns require refining.
This can be checked out in the listed below images of great and bad an approach of a squat.
What is bone?
1. Compact bone; this is heavy, dense, strong and thickest at the skeleton weakest point, normally the centre of the shaft.
2. Cancellous bone; this has a honeycombed appearance and also is solid and difficult without the load of compact bone. The is discovered mainly in the end of bones.
3. Periosteum; this is the membrane the connective organization that lines the outer surface of all bones. It homes the nerves and also blood vessels the innervate and also nourish the underlying bone and also acts as an attachment because that tendons and ligaments.
Bones and the skeleton
As aforementioned the bones in ~ our bodies come in various shapes and also align through each various other in order to create the skeleton.
The major bones the the person skeleton are displayed on the complying with image through their typical names and anatomical names (in brackets).
Knowing anatomical names absolutely helps as soon as working with various other health experts (doctors, physiotherapists) yet most clients appreciate you using typical names and terms that they understand. You gain no ‘kudos’ because that confusing your personal training clients so ensure you always talk v them in a language castle understand.
Major skeleton of the human being skeleton
Image 1: The person skeleton
Although we often look at the skeleton as a totality structure, it can likewise be separated into 2 groups, the axial and appendicular skeleton.
The axial skeleton is composed of the following three parts and can be seen as the non-shaded area in the complying with diagram.skullvertebral columnbony thorax (ribs and sternum)
The key purpose that the axial skeleton is to administer protection for the central nervous mechanism (brain and spinal cord) and crucial organs, such together the heart and lungs.
The appendicular skeleton is composed of the adhering to six parts and also can be seen as the shaded area in the surrounding diagram.armslegshandsfeetpelvic girdleshoulder girdle
The key purpose that the appendicular skeleton is to permit movement to take place through the joints of our arms and legs. There is no the appendicular skeleton we would be can not to relocate around and also do the activities we do on a daily basis.
The vertebral shaft (spine) is a key part that the axial skeleton. That is vital to have a good understanding of the spine together it is a common area that people injure and have postural worries with.
For this reason, as a trainer knowledge the spine and its herbal curves will aid you cue client when exercising in bespeak to keep them safe, as well as communicate v other experts such as physiotherapists.
See more: What Is 51/68 In Simplest Form, What Is 51/68 Simplified
Key point out of the vertebral column
The vertebral column is made up of many individual vertebrae which are grouped together right into five different sections. These sections are detailed below and can additionally be checked out on the nearby diagram.cervical - 7 vertebraethoracic - twelve vertebraelumbar - five vertebraesacrum - five vertebraecoccyx - four vertebrae
When analysing the spine or talking to another professional, such together a physiotherapist, it helps to recommendation each vertebra as a number. Therefore vertebrae room numbered in descending stimulate in their matching sections i.e. The optimal (superior) cervical vertebra is well-known as C1 and also the bottom (inferior) cervical vertebra is known as C7.