A Christmas nightmare only Ebenezer Scrooge could have imagined became a fact after a renowned dog treat practically killed a lovely dog on Christmas day.
You are watching: Are smoked ham bones safe for dogs
A Missouri mrs is the recent in a long string of pet parental to warn around a product she says practically killed one of her Italian Greyhounds.
Gina McFarland says she provided her dog a product called the real Ham Bone because that a Christmas treat. But, rather of safety Christmas by the fire while she dogs enjoyed their bones, she finished up rushing among them to an animal emergency clinic.
Splintered bones blamed
A veterinarian at the clinic states the product splintered within the dog resulting in digestion problems that resulted in repeated vomiting and also dehydration that nearly led to one of her dog dying.
“Dogs have actually ingested this bone, chewed the bone and also it’s obtained lodged in their stomach,” stated Bill Smith, an investigator through the far better Business Bureau. He said in some cases dogs have actually died. Customer complaints have been lodged from across the nation over the assets potential harm.
Dangerous regardless of vigilant supervision
Despite the warning brand on the product informing pet parents to supervise dog while chewing top top the bone, Ms. McFarland states she was supervising she dogs, however that they started vomiting before she can help.
“I desire them taken off the shelves and also I don’t desire anybody rather to go through what I’ve unable to do through,” said Ms. McFarland.
A dark history, dating ago years
When listening of this tragic Christmas tale, i did some investigating. I found many complaints around this product, part dating back years. Together with Ms. McFarland’s dogs, numerous dogs have actually suffered and some have passed away as a direct result of this bones.
Company under investigation
Last year, Dynamic pet Products, the an equipment of the dog bones, was under examination by the Food and also Drug management (FDA) amid reports the scores of dog have come to be seriously ill or died after eating the manufacturers treats.
Pet owners say the hickory exhilaration pork femur bones have actually splintered and caused your dogs to end up being violently okay or even die. Unfortunately, the FDA has actually yet to take activity of any kind of kind.
Splinters, broken bones
Typically, a dogs health problems surface within minutes the chewing ~ above the treat. Pets parents notice the law has damaged apart, or the bone has actually been completely ingested, they take it away and also a brief time later the dogs room gravely ill, trying, yet unable to vomit or vomiting profusely without any kind of stomach materials emerging indigenous the ongoing effort.
Internal bleeding, blockages
The pieces of the bone can perforate the lining that the stomach or the intestines causing interior hemorrhaging or the bone pieces can lodge in the intestines and also create a blockage in the colon.
If the dogs are ably to happen the bone pieces in your feces, the can reason terrible pan for the dog trying to happen a stool. The sharp piece can damages the lining of the colon bring about rectal bleeding, bloody diarrhea or stools.
Blame the consumer
When owners have actually approached the company for restitution, lock are referred to Dynamic’s insurance agency and are later denied financial compensation.
Cruelly, all claims are refuse citing it to be the owners duty to monitor their dogs while “enjoying their product”.
See more: Is Wesson Canola Oil Gluten Free, Pure Wesson 100% Natural Vegetable Oil
Refusal to expropriate responsibility
A pet parental whose dog Trace died as a an outcome of the treat was told by Dynamic’s insurance company who denied her case with the adhering to statement:
“As you are aware, a pet owner is responsible for properly feeding and monitoring your pets. They are likewise responsible for preserving an education and learning related to the appropriate diet for your pets.”
Sad, however not contrite
Company chairman Dave Frick said in a statement exit yesterday that, return “we room saddened to discover of the condition of any type of of our customers’ pets”, he reminded pet parents that the error lay completely at their feet because,
“…that is why every package has a brand that provides detailed instructions to owner on how they can assist their pets finest enjoy our products. Us strongly encourage owner to supervise your pets with any treats or snacks. We will proceed to administer quality, safe products to our customers.”
How to safeguard your dog native dangerous treats?
What must you do? Don’t purchase them. Period. Pet parental should likewise be aware of an additional treat tho on the sector causing significant problems, chicken jerky treats of any kind of kind. Should any type of pet parents have actually the misfortune to have actually a operation in with these treats or have a difficulty with any type of pet food or medicine they can and also should report any kind of health troubles their dogs suffer to the FDA consumer Complaint Coordinator in your region.
Dog Owner claims ‘Real Ham Bone’ nearly Killed she DogsDynamic Pet commodities Consumer Complaints Feds Probe Reports of Dog Deaths, Illnesses indigenous Pork Bone Treats Dynamic Pet assets Real Ham BoneIn storage of Trace