Changing your Jeep"s oil is a pretty simple job the anyone can do at residence in the driveway. Act it yourself not just saves friend a couple of bucks, but gives friend a possibility to visually check other things on her Jeep in ~ the same time. And also when you execute it yourself, you can rest easy understanding the job is excellent right and also with the exact parts or fluids of your choosing. Depending on your Jeep, whether you"ve installed a lifted supsension or not, you may even have the ability to tackle this task without any jacks and also jack was standing or driveway ramps. And also is some instances you can also do this project without raising your Jeep even if the suspension is totally stock. I"ll be using a lift, simply to do the task of taking images easier, but really every you need for this task is a couple of hand tools.
You are watching: 2002 jeep grand cherokee oil capacity
What You will Need
6 quarts of 5W-30 (Preferred) or 10W-30 (depending ~ above the temperature range anticipated prior to your following oil change) Ratchet13mm SocketOil Filter SocketDrain PanShop Towels / record Towels--- not important - but valuable ---Rubber GlovesFunnel
Before functioning on your Jeep, constantly park top top a level surface, put it in park and set the parking break. It"s constantly a great idea come chock the wheel to it is in extra safe whenever working under her Jeep.
Before starting to adjust the oil, operation the engine because that a couple of minutes to warmth the engine oil. This will help the oil flow easier and also quicker.
According to the owner"s manual, 5W-30 is the preferred oil for both the 4.7L and also the 4.7L High calculation engines and is finest for environmental operating temperatures listed below 100ºF. If girlfriend live in an area that sees exterior temperatures end 100ºF then you need to use 10W-30.
1. Remove the oil filler cap to help allow all the oil to drainpipe from the engine better.
2. Remove the oil filler baffle from inside the oil filler neck.
3. Using a 13mm socket, eliminate the drain bolt indigenous the bottom that the oil pan.
4. Allow the oil to drain into a pan. Save some document towels near by come clean up any kind of spills or drips and also to wipe off any type of oil that may splash onto your exhaust. After ~ the oil has actually finished draining, change the drainpipe bolt and also torque to 25 ft lbs. (Hand tightening works perfectly fine because that the drainpipe bolt if girlfriend don"t have a torque wrench.)
5. Using her oil filter wrench, remove the old oil filter.
The Mopar oil filter illustrates the measures for installing your new oil filter.
6. Clean and inspect the oil filter sealing surface ar to be sure there"s no corrosion or debris the may cause a bad seal top top the new filter.
7. Lubricate the seal top top your brand-new oil filter through a few drops of clean motor oil.
8. Install the new filter on to the engine block. Hand tighten the filter.
9. Using one oil filter wrench, tighten the filter 1 much more revolution previous hand tight.
10. Using a funnel, refill the engine with oil. The 4.7L engine requires 6 Quarts the oil. If you"re utilizing a 5 Quart jug, don"t forget to include one added quart.
11. Clean off and also re-install the oil filler baffle the you removed earlier.
12. Clean off the oil cap, then lubricate the oil seal ~ above the cap through a few drops of clean engine oil. This will assist make removing her oil cap during your next oil change much easier.
See more: I Come Once In A Minute Twice In A Moment, Very Confusing
13. The overhead Electronic vehicle Information facility or EVIC for short keeps monitor of once it"s time to complete an oil change. Be certain to reset the business interval after completing your oil readjust so you"ll be reminded when it"s time to change it again. V the Jeep in park (the key can it is in in the on place with or without the engine running) press the STEP switch until the organization message appears on screen. Then press and also hold the RESET switch for a couple of seconds. The EVIC will beep and reset. The EVIC have the right to be programmed come different service intervals depending upon your driving behavior by using the MENU switch when the Jeep is in park.