How to readjust the Engine Oil in a 4.6L or 5.4L F-150
Oil transforms are compelled at particular intervals to ensure the longevity of her engine. Extending oil readjust intervals or neglecting to have actually your engine oil changed will ultimately an outcome in premature engine failure. If girlfriend have limited mechanical experience, the is encourage you discover from the town hall a jar mechanic do the task, as an easy as it may seem. Do an oil change per the manufacturer encourage intervals, which deserve to be discovered in her owner"s manual. (3,000 miles/6 month or 5,000 miles/8 months is common, however it relies on the vehicle). High purpose of use vehicles may advantage from an ext frequent oil changes.
You are watching: 2000 ford f150 5.4 oil capacity
Applicable model Years: 1997 - 2010 Ford F-150 (4.6L and 5.4L engines) Engine Oil Filter component Number*: Motorcraft FL820S (Motorcraft FL400S for specific 4.6L Windsor engines, see footnote) 4.6L Engine Oil Capacity: 6 qts w/ filter (U.S. Quarts) 5.4L Engine Oil Capacity: 6 qts w/ filter 1997 - 2003 model years, 7 qts w/ filter 2004 - 2010 model years (U.S. Quarts) 1997 - 1999 Engine Oil Viscosity: SAE 5W-30 (full synthetic) 2000 - 2010 Engine Oil Viscosity: SAE 5W-20 (full synthetic) *Certain design year 4.6L engines offered oil filter p/n FL400S; inspect filter part number or describe owners manual. FL820S and also FL400S filters room NOT interchangeable.
• The exactly oil viscosity is noted on the oil fill tube. If the is default or missing, describe the viscosity specs above. Friend will require 6 quarts of oil for all 4.6L engines and also 1997 come 2003 design year 5.4L engines. 2004 come 2010 version year 5.4L engines call for 7 quarts that engine oil. Always refer to your owners manual to verify oil specifications for your vehicle.
• situate the oil to fill cap in the engine bay on the passenger side valve cover. Loosen the oil fill cap but do not eliminate (sometimes this help the oil drain quicker).
• place an oil drain container in ~ the drainpipe plug on the engine oil pan. If her oil drain plug is situated on the side of the oil pan, you will must position that so that the oil lands in the container and also not the ground (it will have a tendency to shooting out quite than drain straight down).
• remove the drain plug utilizing a boxed end wrench or socket - carry out not attempt to eliminate the drain plug v an open finish wrench together it will strip easily.
• due to the fact that motor oil is a hazardous material, that is recommended the you stay latex/oil resistant gloves.
• when the oil is draining, clean the oil drainpipe plug with a lint free rag. Execute not usage solvents.
• as soon as the supplied oil has drained completely, reinstall the drain plug. Hand tighten the plug as much as possible to eliminate cross threading. If the oil pan threads are stripped, the whole oil pan will must be eliminated in order to change or repair it properly. Once hand tightened, finishing tightening the drainpipe plug v a wrench/socket. Ensure the plug is snugged under - perform no overtighten.
• Reposition the oil container under the oil filter or appropriate filter drain channel if equipped. Most 4.6L/5.4L fitted trucks have actually an oil filter drainpipe slide located above the center of the front axle.
• remove the oil filter through unscrewing the from the engine block. Top top 4.6L/5.4L engines, the filter is located on the driver side of the engine block and also is ideal accessed through crawling under the vehicle and reaching upwards. It may seem difficult to access, but after a few oil alters you will get the cave of it. One oil filter wrench may be used to help you however, if the filter was set up correctly, it have to come turn off by hand. Appropriately dispose the the oil filter. A plastic zip loc format bag is normally welcomed for recycling purposes. If it is tight and you space unable to accessibility it with an oil filter wrench, shot wrapped a piece of sandpaper (we use emery cloth) around the filter. Friend can commonly grip the sandpaper much better than the canister itself, especially if the is oily.
• Clean the oil filter mounting surface with a clean, lint totally free rag, ensuring that the old filter gasket is not stuck come the mounting surface. Execute not use solvents. Be sure the surface is clean before continuing.
• Prepare your new replacement oil filter by applying a little amount of new motor oil come the oil filter gasket (the rubber o-ring an installed to the surface ar of the brand-new filter). Making use of your finger, obstacle the oil roughly the gasket till it is completely lubricated (this is critical to acquiring a great seal).
• If you would certainly like, you might fill the new filter v 1 quart of fresh motor oil. This action is no required, though some speculate it stays clear of dry starts after an altering the engine oil. It is daunting to install a filled oil filter as soon as it is an installed horizontally top top the engine block there is no spilling. We prefer to, in ~ minimal, "wet" the filter by filling it v ~1/2 a quart of fresh oil.
• through the gasket effectively lubricated, download the brand-new oil filter in the very same fashion you eliminated it. Do not usage an oil filter wrench to tighten the filter. Snug the filter so that it seats tightly against the mounting surface. Over there is no should overtighten the filter, merely tighten the as much as feasible by hand. You should have the ability to remove the filter by hand in ~ your following oil readjust if it was installed properly (some strength required).
• v the oil drainpipe plug and brand-new oil filter installed, the is time to add your new engine oil. Remove the oil to fill cap and stick a clean, oil for sure funnel into the fill neck. Slowly poor in the compelled amount of brand-new engine oil.
• after ~ you have actually filled the engine with oil, reinstall the oil to fill cap.
• traction the dipstick and also verify the engine oil level. If the oil level is low, double check the you used the exactly amount.
See more: How Many Josephs Are In The World ? Who Is The Most Famous Joe/Joseph In The World
• check for leaks about the oil filter drain plug, then begin the truck. The oil press gauge should travel to typical within 5 come 10 seconds, otherwise something to be done incorrectly and there is a problem. Usage a flashlight to inspect for leaks about the oil filter.
rememberingsomer.com is not affiliated with nor endorsed through Ford Motor firm or any type of manufacturer pointed out herein, uneven explicitly listed otherwise.